Sunday, August 7, 2011

Questions From the Writers: Writer's Block

Subject: Dear CB, (I give my permission for this to be posted on Blogger)


Message: Dear CB,


I have a question about writing:


What do you do if you get writer's block? I was writing a story with a really great storyline, but then I just... I guess I just hit a bump... I couldn't concentrate or think of ANYTHING! It is really frustrating.


Please help,
Drawing A. Blank


Dear Drawing A. Blank,

This is quite frustrating. Even though it is so hard to get past, it is completely normal, and this is not the last time it will happen. It is quite normal for writers to 'hit a bump,' as you said. Some writers have a way of writing where they watch what is going on and write it down. (That is how I write) It is almost like watching a movie, in that you can pause and all, but you don't normally get writer's block. Not everyone writes like this, and that does not mean you 'write weird.'

The only thing that you can do to get past this is relax. It is normal to not be able to focus if you are writing to a deadline, or time limit. Even if you don't have much time left, you still need to relax. If you don't, you won't ever get past writer's block; At least, not soon. 

Sit back, close your eyes. Imagine you are watching a movie. Recap on everything that has happened in your story so far. Maybe see what else could happen because of something that just happened. Maybe Ted leaves, or Betty has to break up a fight, and both of those lead to the discovering of something. I don't know. 

But relax. Writer's block comes easily when you are under pressure. Maybe when writing a timed essay, or working on a report that is due the next morning. Just be careful not to fall asleep! 

I hope this helped a little. Good luck on your book! When you are finished, I would love to hear about it. 

Signed,
CB

No comments:

Post a Comment